Monday, June 26, 2006

Blank Canvas AHH

This morning I went into my studio planning on getting some good painting done, and what did I do, I stared at that blank canvas and just sat there. I even set up a pretty nice still life but was just uninspired. I blame it on the weather. I don't know about others but for me, when its so cloudy and grey outside I sometimes don't feel like doing anything. Perhaps I should have taken my plein air easel out and painting that cloudy day. I wanted to be productive so I began stretching a few of my paintings. I stretched the ones I knew were successful as well as a few blank canvases just so I would not have any excuses the next time I came into the studio.

I'm beginning to really see the need to be prepared. I don't like coming into the studio and finding I have a certain amount of time to work only to get nothing done because I was not prepared. When I say prepared I mean, do I have all my materials at hand, do I have my studio clean to work, do I need to buy fresh flowers or fruit to be inspired to paint? I found I get the most done when I have an idea of what I'm going to do. I get inspired when I know I will have three hours to paint and I just went to the store and bought a new tea cup or fresh flowers.

Yeh I'm getting excited to paint already.

No comments: